The IB Diploma Programme is an academically challenging and balanced programme of education, with final examinations, that prepares students aged 16 to 19 for success at university and in life beyond. It has been designed to address the intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being of students. The programme has gained recognition and respect from the world’s leading universities.
Diploma Programme - DP
The IB Diploma Programme is designed as an academically challenging and balanced programme of education that prepares students for success at university and life beyond. Within NIS, the programme is taught over the final two years of school. The IB Diploma has gained recognition and respect from the world's leading universities.
IB Diploma students study six courses at higher or standard level. Students must choose one subject from each of groups 1 to 5, thus ensuring breadth of experience in languages, social studies, the experimental sciences and mathematics. The sixth subject may be an arts subject chosen from group 6, or the student may choose another subject from groups 1 to 5.
At NIS we offer the following options:
|GROUP 1||GROUP 2||GROUP 3||GROUP 4||GROUP 5|
|Arabic Literature||English B||Business and Management||Biology||Mathematics|
|2nd Lang B||Chemistry|
Want to know more about DP?
DP students must choose one course from each of five subject groups
delivering a breadth of knowledge and understanding in language
and literature, individuals and societies, the sciences and mathematics.
Furthermore, students must also choose either an arts course from the arts
group or a second course from one of the other subject groups. DP courses
can be taken at higher level (HL) or standard level (SL). At least three, and not
more than four, are taken at HL (240 teaching hours), while the remaining courses are taken at SL (150 teaching hours). SL courses ensure students are
exposed to a range of disciplines that they might otherwise opt out of, and
HL courses allow students to spend more time with subjects they are more
interested in by exploring options in addition to the SL core curriculum. In this
sense, all DP courses, regardless of whether they are SL or HL, are integral to
the programme. Students can study and take examinations in English, French
or Spanish. Two courses are classified as interdisciplinary, meaning that they
satisfy the requirements of more than one subject group.
• Literature and performance (studies in language and literature subject group and the arts subject group)
• Environmental systems and societies (individuals and societies subject group and sciences subject group)
In addition, the programme has three core requirements that are included to broaden the educational experience and challenge students to apply their knowledge and understanding:
- The Extended Essay (EE) is a requirement for students to engage in independent research through an in-depth study of a question relating to one of the subjects they are studying.
- Theory of Knowledge (TOK) is a course designed to encourage each student to reflect on the nature of knowledge by critically examining different ways of knowing (perception, emotion, language and reason) and different kinds of knowledge (scientific, artistic, mathematical and historical).
- Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) requires that students actively learn from the experience of doing real tasks beyond the classroom. Students can combine all three components or do activities related to each one of them separately.
Students take written examinations at the end of the programme, which are marked by external IB examiners. Students also complete assessment tasks in the school, which are either initially marked by teachers and then moderated by external moderators or sent directly to external examiners.
The diploma is awarded to students who gain at least 24 points, subject to certain minimum levels of performance across the whole programme and to satisfactory participation in the creativity, action, service requirement. The highest total that a Diploma Programme student can be awarded is 45 points